Saturday, January 14, 2017

Why Your Homeschool May NOT Be Working



When homeschooling, it is extremely important to have a vision statement and goals. If you know why you are homeschooling and what your goals are, you are more likely to be able to choose appropriate curriculums and teach your children in a manner that provides success.

A homeschool family that just homeschools day by day may find themselves struggling and falling prey to curriculum jumping and the feeling that they aren't successfully homeschooling. On the other hand, a homeschool family who knows why they are homeschooling and knows what their goals are will be more likely to stick with homeschooling and be successful.


Ask yourself the following questions when making your vision statement and goals for each year:


  • Why am I homeschooling?
  • What is my goal as a homeschool family?
  • What is my educational philosophy?
  • What is my child’s learning style?
  • Do I plan to put my child in public or private school in the future?
  • Do I want my child to go to a 4-year college? Tech school? Or straight to work after graduation?
  • How much money do I want to spend on educational products each year?
  • What fun things can I plan?
  • Are there any field trips I want to take this year?
  • Are Co-ops right for my family?
  • What are my long-term goals?
  • What are my short-term goals?
  • What spiritual and/or character building goals do I have?
  • What life skills do I want my child to learn?


Once you know your goals and vision, you can map out a homeschool journey that lines up with your homeschool’s purpose. Once you have your plan, refer back to it often and make sure your homeschool is not getting off track.

If you haven't already, take a moment to figure out the vision for your homeschool. Then, make sure you visit your vision throughout the year to make sure you are keeping your homeschool on the right track.

No comments:

Post a Comment